By Michael Calandra
The Five Towns College Women’s Basketball Team have playoff dreams on their minds as they improved their season record to 8-6 after defeating Cooper Union 77-52 in an ultimate display of power and aggression unleashed by the offense.
Going into this matchup, The Sound was primed to deliver another pummeling to Cooper Union after winning the last two meetings led by their pulverizing superstar forward Chloe Walton, who played a pivotal role in both games by leading the team in scoring. Along with Walton, the Five Towns Women's Basketball squad, under the helm of second-year head coach Veronica Peck, saw many players elevate their games this season, including Sophomore power forward Denisha Allen, who is having her best year yet on the hardcourt, leading the team in rebounds per game.
The Cooper Union contest followed The Sound’s road game with King’s College. After two previous frustrating losses, they played King’s College with a chip on their shoulder; a loss taking them out of the playoff hunt. Five Towns College prevailed that game by putting up a valiant effort to dethrone the Lions 42-36 in double overtime. With the pressure off their wings and a postseason opportunity on the horizon, The Lady Sound were ready for Cooper Union.
Here are the highlights from the Five Towns vs. Cooper Union matchup:
· Denisha Allen won the opening tip-off, and the Lady Sound immediately started to attack the basket for the next twenty minutes.
· Senior forward Chloe Walton made her presence felt in the first half, scoring 18 out of the 40 points produced by Five Towns’ relentless offense.
· Rebound efficiency played a crucial effect heading into halftime, with Denisha Allen grabbing 12 of 29 rebounds, including two on the offense and ten on the defense.
· The second half provided more calamity for Cooper Union’s defense, as the Lady Sound offense continued to fire away on the hardwood.
· Chloe Walton performed outstandingly the rest of the way, scoring 38 points, besting her career-high 37 last year against Cooper Union.
· The rest of the Five Towns Women’s squad contributed, with guards Jada Roberts Duncan and Destiny Martinez each putting up double digits.
With the upcoming graduation of Chloe Walton looming, Coach Peck offered some high praise for her veteran superstar immediately after Sunday’s enormous victory. “As Chloe Walton leaves, she leaves behind her legacy of hard work and leadership, which will be missed,” said Peck.
At the same time Coach Peck remained optimistic about the future of the basketball program. “The focus for next season is to keep building. We have a few recruits next year who have the determination to fight and win,” said Peck.
The Sound look to finish the season on a high note when they next take on Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences on Sunday, February 17th.